The following recipe is the original chili con carne that I adopted I didn’t change anything to it other than the spices as I prefer a little more spicy and more beef. I use some forgotten frozen steaks and other meat, I marinate them overnight to make’em tender before adding them to the recipe (in small chunks).
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion , chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 3 cups cabbage , finely shredded
- 2 cups celery , chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper , diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes , diced (do NOT drain can)
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
In a large sauce pan (Dutch oven) cook beef, onion and garlic until browned and done. Drain the fat.
Add cabbage, celery, green pepper, tomatoes with their juice, tomato sauce, kidney beans and seasonings.
Cover and simmer over for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.